* You can change society through music and where there is injustice in the world, music must point it out.' Ali Farka Toure
* Winner of a Grammy Award for the album Talking Timbuktu, on which he played with Ry Cooder and other American luminaries, the legendary African singer and guitarist Ali Farka Toure now declines most offers of international tours and recording sessions.
* Feeling that it was weakening the link between his music and its source in deep Mali, Al invests much of his time, energy and resources towards improving conditions in his homeland, whilst never diminishing his passion for music.
* This film visits the charismatic Ali in Niafunke, a village on the banks of the River Niger, where he goes about his daily business, checking crops and water pumps, and fulfilling his role and responsibilities as an important local figure.
* Music is an integral part of this encounter and live recordings include: Mali Dje, Gomni, Chanson sur Niafunke, Keito and Tulumba.
* Deep, mysterious and utterly compelling, his playing lights up this striking documentary.
* Region: All
* Running Time: 63 minutes
* Color: Color
* UPC: 032031800090
* ISBN: 0-7697-8198-5
Kultur brings you the world's greatest performing arts and cultural programming on DVD and Blu-ray. For over 30 years, Kultur has been the leading source of world-class performing arts titles, committed to preserving the legacy of great performers for future generations to appreciate and enjoy. Programs include historic performances by legends Luciano Pavarotti, Mikhail Baryshnikov, Placido Domingo, Leonard Bernstein, Rudolf Nureyev, Margot Fonteyn and many others. Kultur has many programs for all interests: music, dance, literature, history and art.
All Kultur products
This product is shipped from our warehouse in Fishers, IN, USA.
This product is brand new and includes the manufacturer's warranty, so you can buy with confidence.
Please submit your product question using this form. All fields are required.